[azipa] Re: Can't build large SCSI array

J.L.Francois jlf@magusnet.gilbert.az.us
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 12:21:17 -0700

This looks suspiciously like a cabling/disk jumper setting
problem I once had.

Things to check for:
Terminator is withing 4" of the end of the cable.
No more than 2 terminators on the bus, verify the disks are NOT set
to terminate unless it is the one at the end of the bus on one end.
The card is the other end.
On a multi-channel card the termination on the card is DISABLED when
using multi-channels.
So the disks at the ends shoule be set to terminate or
terminators shoould be at each end ONLY.
Use active termination, really you'll appreciate it.
All devices should be 4" to 12" apart on the cable.
Use Granite cabling, expensive, but the best.
Check yout TERMPWR Jumpers they should all be on
in most cases.

Read thru the docs at: http://www.scsifaq.org/

You did remember to sacrifice a goat before starting?

Jean Francois - JLF Sends...
President & CEO - MagusNet, Inc., MagusNet.com, MagusNet.Gilbert.AZ.US
Director Of Managed Services - OpNIX,Inc., www.opnix.com
OpNIX - Simply Better Bandwidth
602-770-JLF1 - Cellular, ICQ:  8137851

It seems like on Fri, Sep 15, 2000 at 11:57:44AM -0700, Trent Shipley scribbled:
Orig Msg> We are having a terrible time building an array of SCSI disks.  It will
Orig Msg> consist of 10 physical drives, but they will be mirrored--so there will only
Orig Msg> be 5 logical drives.
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> We are using an AMI Elite 1600 controller with 37 Gbyte IBM Ultra LVD's
Orig Msg> (SCSI-3).
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> What happens is that any attempt to build the array fails when we load
Orig Msg> channel 1 (the second channel) with more than three drives.  (Channel 0 is
Orig Msg> happy with 4 drives.)
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> Calls to AMI have resulted in the usual tech-support purgatory.
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> We have never gotten to the point where we can install the operating system.
Orig Msg> So far the problem has consumed on the order of ten or twelve man-days with
Orig Msg> little or no progress.  The system is scheduled to ship Monday.
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> The problem is exacerbated by the fact that we are a small company, and no
Orig Msg> employee has ever installed more than four drives on a system.  In fact, no
Orig Msg> employee recalls having ever MET anyone who has set up a sizable disk array.
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> Free advice will be much appreciated.
Orig Msg>    Offers of fee-for-service advice will be considered.
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> Trent Shipley
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> Work:
Orig Msg> (602) 522-7502
Orig Msg> mailto:tshipley@symbio-tech.com
Orig Msg> http://www.symbio-tech.com
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg>

Arizona Internet Professionals Association Email Discussion List
Next Meeting - Monday, Sept. 25th, 2000 - <http://www.azipa.org>
To switch among receiving individual emails or a daily digest or
just "read on web only" <http://www.egroups.com/subscribe/azipa>
You can select to receive email in html or plain text format at
<http://www.egroups.com/myprofile>