sendmail and root.

plug@arcticmail.com plug@arcticmail.com
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 01:16:56 -0700

<SHUDDER>
sendmail.cf
</SHUDDER>

Send out mails how?  From a mail client, or from
the command line?

If from a mail client, such as mutt, simply set
your "From: " header (and possibly "Reply-To: "
header) to whatever you want.

If from the command line, I'm not sure if "mail"
(or "mailx") will let you set the "From: " header.
I usually just invoke sendmail directly:

/usr/sbin/sendmail -oi -t <<EOF
From: myfrom@foofrom.xxx
To: toaddress@barto.xxx
Subject: imaspam

Buy a diploma from one of zillions of
non-accredited offshore universities
based on the job you're trying to bluff
your way in to.

Don't hesitate!  Dial 800-FAKEIT RIGHT NOW!

62143648253
EOF

Ja, ja.  sendmail reads from stdin and you could
just do ^D, but I was thinking more of scripting.

IIRC, sendmail also has a "-f" switch that lets
priviliged users set the "from" that appears
in the "Received: " headers, and I believe the
address specified with "-f" will be used in the
SMTP "MAIL FROM:" command.  IOW, "-f" lets you
REALLY fake the originator.