Nullmail and ssmtp

Nathan Saper natedog@well.com
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 17:09:53 -0700

On Tue, Sep 12, 2000 at 11:08:34PM -0700, der.hans wrote:
> Am 12. Sep, 2000 schwäzte Nathan Saper so:
>
> > Some mailers don't handle PGP/MIME very well.  For example, with Pine, you
> > have to export the mail to a file, then run PGP manually on it.  Maybe I'm
> > missing something...
>
> I thought you could run the message through a pipe as long as it's ascii
> armored.

Yeah, but it screws up most of the standard viewing filters for PGP under
Pine, such as pgp4pine and pgpenvelope.

> qrovna xvpxf nff
>
> Pipe this message through a rot13 filter, tr a-z n-za-m, to get back to
> the orig. Just noticed that pine takes you to a viewer for that, so
> replying sucks :(. You can forward the piped text, but can't reply to
> it. Pretty lame.

Lame is right.

> Oh well, I'm planning on figuring out how to get mutt to work like I want
> it to anyway...

Mutt is definitely a more powerful mailer than Pine.  It just does things
in ways that I'm not used to.

> > Mutt only scans the headers of mails to see if they're PGP
> > signed/encrypted.  This is a PGP/MIME thing, I think.  Procmail just adds
> > that header to PGP messages that don't already have it.
>
> I use procmail anyhow.

Yeah, procmail's cool.  I don't mind using procmail, I just mind being
FORCED to use procmail in order to have mutt pick out standard PGP
mails.  It just seems like something that mutt should be able to do
itself...

> > Don't ask me why mutt is set up that way...
>
> It has many peculiararities.

Quite true.

I understand the benefits of PGP/MIME (such as being able to encrypt
non-ASCII data), but it still gets annoying for everyday use.

- --
Nathan Saper
natedog@well.com (PGP OK)
Fingerprint (0x9AD0F382): 743D FE2C 7F2E 7CAE 4A5F 0B19 D855 B205 9AD0 F382
Fidonet: 1:114/59.10