Hard drive tribulations and ReiserFS

Rod Roark rod@sunsetsystems.com
Tue, 5 Sep 2000 03:56:32 -0700

On Tue, 05 Sep 2000, you wrote:
> (Long story ahead, but ReiserFS comes at the end...)

Some folks have a lot of trouble with the BP6.  What has worked for
me is to turn off APM and ACPI in the BIOS and in the kernel
configuration, and to use append="noapic" in lilo.conf.  Avoid the
onboard UDMA66.

If it still seems flaky then more serious measures may be called for,
like flashing the BIOS to a newer level or getting a replacement
board from ABit.

Regarding overclocking, it's important to use a dab of thermal grease
under the CPU heatsinks.  I also put it under the BX chip's heatsink.
But it's pretty disappointing if you can't even run the 366's at 75
Mhz bus speed... mine do OK at 94.

-- Rod
   http://www.sunsetsystems.com/