Debian question

plug@arcticmail.com plug@arcticmail.com
Sun, 3 Sep 2000 19:03:23 -0700

apt is pretty smart about automatically resolving dependencies,
but there are some situations that simply cannot be handled
automatically.

Here's what I usually do:

     apt-get update
     apt-get dist-upgrade

And then for cases like yours, where packages have been kept
back, I add them a few at a time, to determine the source of
apt's confusion.  I your case, I would do:

     apt-get install ae cpp cvs distributed-net

if apt complains about that combination, I would fall back,
one package at a time, until apt is successful:

     apt-get install ae cpp cvs

     <apt complaint>

     apt-get install ae cpp

     <apt complaint>

     apt-get install ae

     <well, this SHOULD always work, unless you've been
      manually forcing thinks in dpkg!>

Repeat until everything is up to date.

HTH,