/dev/st0?

plug@arcticmail.com plug@arcticmail.com
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 17:10:27 -0700

In other Unices (read: SYSV), I think that the
different designations are for different tape
densities (bits per inch).  "l" is low density,
"m" is medium density, and "a" is for, um,
asinine density.  There are usually "n" devices
also, for no-rewind.  I suppose that for newer
tape drives, density select could be used to
enable/disable compression.  mt in Linux has
a "datcompression" command that I use.

Also, in some Unices, they have two entirely
different sets of special files for interfacing
with tape drive drives.  One set is a SYSV-style
interface (ioctl?) and the other is a BSD-style
interface.  IIRC, Solaris and/or HP-UX is this
way.

HTH,