Embedded Linux

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 06:28:46 -0700 (MST)

Am 26. Oct, 2000 schwäzte Jason so:

> The question is, will a HD tolerate high temperatures without
> spontaneously degausing itself? The unit itself can be made to NOT
> power up until a peltier element/fansink combination has brought the
> HD, CPU, and other critical components to a reasonable temperature, if
> the unit is to be kept inside an automobile (plenty of power available
> for such things when the alternator is turning...)

Fan doesn't help if the surrounding air is also out of temp range for the
device. Computers have been installed in hot climates for years, so one
can probably find a hard drive that would work. Maybe laptop stuff? I'd
think, however, that flash drives or microdrives would be the way to
do. They'd also handle speed bumps at 60 better than a hard drive :).

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.Opnix.com
# Motorraeder toeten nicht. Motorraeder werden getoetet.