I'm Wireless!!!

Kevin Brown kevin_brown@uswest.net
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 22:30:09 -0700

Well, looks like I hosed X windows while working on getting linux to work with
the wavelan card.  Downloaded the latest kernel (2.2.17) and the latest pcmcia
(3.1.21).  Went through the kernel options and put in all the stuff I know my
laptop needs.  Compile went fine (make menuconfig && make dep && make clean &&
make bzImage && make modules && make modules_install && make install) then did
the pcmcia (make && make all && make install).  Pcmcia works with both my 2.2.5
and 2.2.17 kernels and recognizes the wavelan card.  The problem is that when I
tried to get into X windows it errors out; something about not finding fonts.
Near as I can tell XFS isn't running any longer even though during boot it gets
started and says its running [OK].  Stupidly I tried running Xconfigurator, now
it claims that there is no valid modeline.  Both kernels still boot and I do
have command line access, but I want my X windows back. ^^$#$#@%$#%$@#$@#%#$,
this is pissing me off.  Had a perfectly good working machine and then I had to
go and do this....  Debating on if I want to just backup my personal files and
trash the whole bloody install and try again...  Either way is a task for
tomorrow if I have nothing else to do at work besides getting Tripwire working
on the linux and solaris boxen.