Sprint Broad Band

Doug Winterburn doug@winterburn.net
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 21:49:08 -0700

I just received a letter from SBB telling me "We have recently learned
that your PC is infected with one or more viruses or Trojan Horses."

Well, since they suggested I consider a firewall, and since they claim
to have a firewall, and since I do have a linux firewall - I was rather
panicked!  I ran around the house checking the virtual PC's (vmware) and
any other PC's that might have had consentual contact with those on my
network.  There was nothing as described or as they intimated or that
showed up in all my logs/virus scanners.

So, to find out what I had missed (since they explained their innocent
port scans which I have been seeing for a long time had found this
illness), I called.  I asked what in particular they had found (as I
really wanted to know how to plug the hole) and the techno-wizard that
answered (after 10 minutes or so) said that "it should have been worded
differently - you don't have a virus, but it could happen".  So,
basically, they send out spam snail mail letters to cover their A** in
case their network might be compromised and the lawyers show up.  No
matter that I try my best to "keep clean" - just send out the bulk email
telling me I'm infected!

I'm still searching (for an alternative)...

-Doug