ipchains performance?

J.L.Francois jlf@magusnet.gilbert.az.us
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 21:00:58 -0700

I am running IPCHAINS with NAT for Opnix and we are using multiple OC-3s.
The box is an ATHLON 800 with 128MB RAM and 2 Intel EEPRO 10/100 NICS.

It has been hammered in tests and holds its own without a hiccup.

The distro is Debian and the entire install fit into 164MB.
It would have been smaller if I didn't have to install ssh and other
support libraries.

JLF Sends...

It seems like on Thu, Oct 26, 2000 at 04:31:53PM -0700, Jon Revie scribbled:
Orig Msg> I'm looking for a little help finding ipchains statistics.  I've been
Orig Msg> using some simple ipchains rules on personal systems for a while, running
Orig Msg> ipmasquerading and everything, which has worked well.  However, the
Orig Msg> company I work for is thinking about maybe giving ipchains a shot at
Orig Msg> running the company firewall, and they have a much bigger pipe than what
Orig Msg> I'm used to.
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> Does anyone know what kind of system (processor, RAM, etc) would be needed
Orig Msg> to handle all incoming traffic for a DS-3?  Or if there's anywhere where
Orig Msg> there have been reviews about it's performance against other firewall
Orig Msg> systems for Linux.  I know a lowly 386 can handle a simple 10M of traffic,
Orig Msg> I'm just not sure what is needed to handle a considerably larger pipe.
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.
Orig Msg> --
Orig Msg> Jon Revie revie@home.com http://www.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu/~revie
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> "Somebody told me how frightening it was how much topsoil we
Orig Msg> are losing each year, but I told that story around the camp-
Orig Msg> fire and nobody got scared."  - Jack Handey
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg>

Jean Francois - JLF Sends...
President & CEO - MagusNet, Inc., MagusNet.com, MagusNet.Gilbert.AZ.US
Director Of Managed Services - OpNIX,Inc., www.opnix.com
OpNIX - Simply Better Bandwidth
602-770-JLF1 - Cellular, ICQ:  8137851
My Certifications: