Lost any file lately?

J.L.Francois jlf@magusnet.gilbert.az.us
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 07:31:36 -0700

Getting into this thread a little late.

Did anyone bother to mention the "pgp -w" command at all?

It is a lot easer to use than trying some of the other
things I have seen suggested so far.

Otherwise save yourself some headaches and use:
TCFS, CFS, and the like with the decryption key on a PCMCIA hard drive.
( I have done this )
Remove it each night and bury it in your yard under the scorpion pit.
( I don't do this because I have a pig )

I have also experimented with encrypting files into PostgreSQL with a lot
of success. No file on the filesystem and fast access from the database.

Eventually, you will find a better way to do file wiping and filesystem
encryption or you will end up someplace where it won't matter.

JLF Sends...

It seems like on Thu, Oct 26, 2000 at 07:16:16AM -0700, sinck@ugive.com scribbled:
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> \_ The solution that will definitly work, it seems to me, is to remove
Orig Msg> \_ the files you want removed, then fill all remaining space on the
Orig Msg> \_ filesystem with the beloved "yes" command... [...]
Orig Msg> \_ Clumbsy, slow, but should work, on any OS that has "yes" and "sync",
Orig Msg> \_ right? (Note: it wont remove records of the file NAMES, however)
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> For that, just conveniently copy all your directories to temp dir nodes
Orig Msg> and recast them back.  (IIRC, YMMV).
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> David
Orig Msg>

Jean Francois - JLF Sends...
President & CEO - MagusNet, Inc., MagusNet.com, MagusNet.Gilbert.AZ.US
Director Of Managed Services - OpNIX,Inc., www.opnix.com
OpNIX - Simply Better Bandwidth
602-770-JLF1 - Cellular, ICQ:  8137851
My Certifications:
http://www.brainbench.com/transcript.jsp?pid=1214021
Doing my part to educate the Clubie Illiterati.
One LART at a time!