Embedded Linux

Jason jkenner@mindspring.com
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 21:05:12 -0700

Darryl Tang wrote:

> Anyone doing anything with Embedded Linux?  Included with the November issue
> of Linux Journal is the first issue of Embedded Linux Journal that talks
> about the explosion of Linux in the embedded devices area.  I want to learn
> more about this and would appreciate hearing from persons in the area who
> have an interest in embedded Linux or are working in it presently.

It has been my desire for about three years now to have an MP3 player
with several gigs of storage in a car... I had amassed the necessary
hardware to build such a device when I moved to the phoenix area,
here, I feel, magnetic storage may be a bit of a problem when in-trunk
temperatures could easily reach 140F on the hottest days...

I know for a fact (one I learned "the hard way") that CDR's are no
solution to this problem either... I lost a couple of audio CDRs to
being left in the car .. they would just skip more and more and more
when I left them in the player. Eventually I realized what was
happening, and havent had this problem since I started bringing
everything inside with me. Normal CDs to not appear to erase
themselves in these temperatures (120-140?), or, if they do, I have
not experienced it in the short duration which my normal audio CDs
were exposed to those temperatures. (the problem was DEFINITLY not one
of exposure to sunlight, direct or indirect)

--
jkenner @ mindspring . com__
I Support Linux:           _> _  _ |_  _  _     _|