bandwidth away from it all?

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 00:04:17 -0700 (MST)

Am 24. Oct, 2000 schwäzte Datawolf so:

> What are the options for bandwidth in a smaller town that doesn't have
> DSL/cable/Sprint Broadband?  What would be the cheapest commercial-grade
> solution aside from ISDN?  Satellite services?  How about ham radio?
> Homebrew?

Inside the US the only things I know of for synchronous high speed
connections that might be available outside large metro areas are to wait
for the satellite feed, www.starband.com, microwave or talk to RNi about
licensing their wireless setup and becoming and ISP for everybody else in
your town :).

Prob with starband, I think, is one gets stuck with m$ for an ISP. I've
seen a claim of 600k synchronous, but think they're currently doing 200k
down and 400k up.

Don't know how expensive or good microwave is.

I don't know if RNi is ready to start selling to other companies.

For high speed down, phone up, there should be several other options via
satellite. AOHellTV would be one of them. I believe several other
companies have been selling such stuff for a couple of years,
though. Check www.EchoStar.com.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.Opnix.com
#  Like the maid, I don't do (M$)Windows. - der.hans