Lost any file lately?

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 18:36:39 -0700 (MST)

moin, moin,

Lost any files lately? Try recover.

It worked great the first time I tried it. Had to recover a mail file
someone had deleted. It looked like there was no data loss.

Just tried it to get back some files I lost in a power outtage this
weekend (most were in /tmp and get removed at startup). That didn't work
too well, but I've been using the machine quite a bit since then, so the
inodes might've gotten used. recover still found lots of files, but not
the ones I was checking for.

Even if you don't lose any files, you might want to try it and see what's
still on the disk.

If you want to make sure a file goes bye-bye try srm, secure rm (I
haven't).

recover is in debian's unstable dist. srm doesn't appear to be packaged
for debian.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/srm/

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.Opnix.com
# Knowledge is useless unless it's shared. - der.hans