StarOffice 5.2

Kevin Brown kevin_brown@uswest.net
Sun, 22 Oct 2000 23:46:03 -0700

Don't know if it matters but I use Applixware from applix (www.applix.com) on my
linux box.  With just the english dictionary and help files it is only around
100mb (the manual says 133MB, but since I don't use all the options it kept it
smaller).  The real nice thing about it is its ability to be a network app.  I
had an email off the applix mailing list (which I can't find at this time, sigh)
that a user had a PPro 200 with (iirc) 128MB RAM had 12 concurrent users using
Applixware, total cpu time for the processes was less than 20% and only about
half the RAM.  Lets see MicroCrap Office do that.  I haven't encountered any
errors when transfering files from office97/2000, but I don't do much in the way
of advanced features (e.g. macros, heavy formatting with images, etc...).  Yes
you do have to pay for it, but I have found it worth the price.