IDE vs SCSI drives

Jason jkenner@mindspring.com
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 18:25:37 -0700

Kevin Buettner wrote:
> I had the same concerns.  I have very little direct experience with IDE,
> but I've read dire warnings regarding IDE in a number of places.  Again,
> that's why I decided to get two IDE drives and mirror them.

Arent most of the problems with IDE really a result of improperly
implemented drivers? I understand thats been a major problem with
Windows machines and off-brand motherboards that typically include
their own drivers for DMA. Ive never had Linux actually attempt to
enable DMA on one of these spotty motherboards...

Also, cant DMA be a performance hit in some cases? With PIO, you dont
have the cache consistency problems to worry about... and with an OS
like Linux, taking a very small amount of time out to service the
drive isnt the BAD THING it is with an OS that has difficulty doing
more than a couple of things at once (M$)

--
jkenner @ mindspring . com__
I Support Linux:           _> _  _ |_  _  _     _|