IDE vs SCSI drives

Jason jkenner@mindspring.com
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 18:21:32 -0700

Kevin Buettner wrote:
> That doesn't explain why reading out of kernel's buffer cache is
> faster though.

Your going to have to look at the actual drivers themselves to resolve
why reading the kernels buffer cache is faster for the IDE drive. It
may be something as simple as the codesize for the drivers effecting
CPU performance (processor cache issues, etc..  it seems to me SCSI
devices are somewhat more complex than IDE devices.. a competent SCSI
driver can expect to be hooked to scanners and god knows what else..
things that will never see their way to IDE/ATA)

--
jkenner @ mindspring . com__
I Support Linux:           _> _  _ |_  _  _     _|