RedHat Network redux

sinck@ugive.com sinck@ugive.com
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 07:55:57 -0700

\_ Am 13. Oct, 2000 schwäzte sinck@ugive.com so:
\_
\_ > Well, it depends on the level of autoinstalling there is.  Do you
\_ > really want some script *hopefully* not bungling your sendmail config
\_ > on the way by?  Your kernel?  Personally, I'd want an option that said
\_ > "prep everything, then send email with suspected degree of brokenness
\_ > if just launched".
\_
\_ I'm presuming rpm does this :).
I believe current rpm logic stops at "Hey!  You're missing a
dependency."  None of this "do the right thing" stuff I keep hearing
about debian.

\_ The step that needs to be automated is
\_ finding out about security update, downloading them and their dependencies
\_ and then doing rpm installs. As for the update not hosing the system,
\_ that's mostly dependent upon the skill and knowledge of whoever built the
\_ rpm :).

It reminds me of a perl module, that when you go through the standard
installation spell warns:

	     Issuing rm -rf / ...

	     [pause]

	     Oh hey, just kidding about that.  But you didn't read the
	     source, did you?  You just blindly installed, right?
	     Sometime in the future, I will go ahead and put that in."

Nothing like heart failure in the morning.

David