Security Programs

Kevin Brown kevin_brown@uswest.net
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 20:57:33 -0700

I have been doing some research for my job looking at a few different packages
regarding intrusion detection and system integrity.  I'd like some opinions
regarding some of the packages I have seen and looked at to date.  The first is
Snort (www.snort.org).  It is a NIDS program for detecting attacks on a
network.  The other is Tripwire (www.tripwire.com).  It is a system integrity
checker that keeps track of changes to files on a system.

Both these programs are multi platform which is what I need for the environment
into which they will be implemented.  Does anyone have any pros/cons to these
programs or suggestions for ones they consider better and why.  The programs
have to be able to run on Linux (x86, alpha, sparc, etc...), Solaris (x86 and
sparc) and possibly HP-UX.