adapter teaming

Mike Starke mgcon@neta.com
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 09:06:06 -0700 (MST)

David is right, I want 200 M at full duplex. I have a new
Compaq Proliant that I use for a Citrix/Terminal server, and
it took me about 5 minutes to set that up on it. I have an old
NT server for our PDC, took me two days to get it to place nice.
(Had to go to SP6, very nervous on doing that on my production server.)

At any rate, I have a Samba server that get's hit pretty hard, I know
the choke is in the net performance.  Therefore, I would like to
"Team" up two nics on it to give it a bit of a boost in net performance.

The Intel cards that have this capability (They call it
Fast Etherchannel, and you need a Cisco switch to support this)
are called Intel Pro/100 Intelligent Server Adapters.  I beleieve
there is another line of Interl Pro/100's that I beleieve are
supported in Linux (according to a web site, of which the URL
has slipped my mind right now), but the one I have is not mentioned.
Which made sense to me, because I couldn't get it to work.

Funny thing, with the Intel cards, if you insert the wrong
module, a three fingered salute will just not cut it.

Mike
mgcon@getnet.com
http://www.getnet.com/~mgcon
Phoenix, AZ