What Unix differences? :-)

George Toft george@georgetoft.com
Sun, 08 Oct 2000 04:28:36 GMT

This is an issue that perplexes me as well.  Let us assume you have a
full-time job (45 hours/wk) administering one Unix box and you have done
this for one year.  You can claim one year of experience.

What if you administer 50 servers for 80 hours per week for one year.
Other
than claiming the job put you though hell, do you get to claim one year of
experience?  I think not as you have more servers and more time on the
job.  So is two years appropriate?  Again, I think not.  Some of the
servers
at my (former) job had no problems whatsoever, and others gave me fits
almost constantly (and they we clones of each other).

I think YOE is about as valid as any other benchmark (Mindcraft, anyone?).
YMMV.

George