Partitioning Linux

Rod Roark rod@sunsetsystems.com
Sat, 7 Oct 2000 17:34:13 -0700

On Sat, 07 Oct 2000, John W wrote:
> I am going to dedicate one to be a Linux only machine and was
> wondering what a decent patition scheme might be on an 8Gig
> drive.Suggestions appreciated.

This is a bit like asking how to lay out a farm.  It depends on what
you want to grow.  And no matter what you decide, you'll probably want
to change it later.

Here's what I do for my clients who have no clue:

(1) Allocate hda1 and hda2 around 1.5-2G each, one of these to install
your distribution into and the other as a duplicate which can be a
"rescue" root partition and a place to install the next release of this
or some other distribution without messing up your production setup.

(2) Allocate hda3 as a swap partition, about 2 times your physical
memory size.

(3) Allocate the remainder as hda4 to serve as a general-purpose
scratch partition that you can mount as something like /mnt/work.
As the need arises, you can create symbolic links (e.g., /home or
/usr/local) pointing to various places in there.

Have fun!

-- Rod
Sunset Systems                           Preconfigured Linux Computers
http://www.sunsetsystems.com/                      and Custom Software