X windows sycrate calculator

Jason jkenner@mindspring.com
Sat, 07 Oct 2000 03:11:11 -0700

John Wheat wrote:

>  I found this site the other and used it to calculate a modeline for
> 800x600 resolution that I could not get to work.(Thanks for your help
> Jason). www.hut.fi/misc/Electronics/faq/vga2rgb/calc.html. Irecall one of
> the other users having problems getting a 1024x768 display maybe this will
> help!

Ive thought about it some, and I recall you defined your supported
horizontal sync rates explicitly, rather than in ranges.

Say you have support for a 35.1KHz sync. Try replacing that with
support for a range of 34.7KHz to 35.5Khz. X may be rejecting
modelines because the horizontal rate isnt correct.

As root, from console, with no X running, do the following:

X &> X-Output.txt & sleep 60 ; sync ; kill `ps a | grep -v grep | grep
X`

Examine X-Output.txt after a minute or so has gone by (or for the
impatient, use ctrl-alt-f1 to get back to text). The reason for
modelines being rejected should be listed in plaintext english.

--
jkenner @ mindspring . com__
I Support Linux:           _> _  _ |_  _  _     _|