Napster and other 'ster' filtering thru ipchains

Marc Chung mchung@asu.edu
Thu, 5 Oct 2000 23:06:40 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 5 Oct 2000, Jason wrote:

<snip>

> I had akamai blocked with junkbuster for quite some time, and found
> that yes, its mostly ads, but a disturbing number of sites are using
> akamai to redirect their images and downloads also, presumably to
> hinder adblocking efforts.

Actually, it's to save bandwidth.  I recently attended a seminar where
Akamai gave a talk about their company.  Basically they have nodes at a
large number of backbones (UUNet, Universities, etc.).  These nodes
provide bandwith for Akamazied sites, where the users (of Akamaized sites)
are then redirected to the closest node, essentially load balancing the
site.

--
Marc Chung [mchung@asu.edu]
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately"