Years and Years and Years of experience..

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Thu, 5 Oct 2000 22:05:43 -0700 (MST)

Am 05. Oct, 2000 schwäzte Shawn T. Rutledge so:

> Another example - at work last week the admins reformatted the
> hard drive on my Ultra5 and started over, because it needed some
> repartitioning anyway.  (Suns have this neat firmware
> feature that allows them to install a complete filesystem
> via the network; no mucking around with boot disks.)  Afterwards

Most decent architectures do :). PCs suck.

> I could no longer ftp into the system.  I scratched my head for
> a while, checked everything I could think of, and had to ask an
> admin for help (which is a little embarrassing, because I've been the
> thorn in their sides many times for being control freaks, and espoused
> the viewpoint that a software engineer should have root on his
> own box, for crying out loud.)  The problem was that my shell is

Amen! ;-)

Then again, I know many software engineers that shouldn't even be given
user account... :)

> bash, and ftp only accepts connections for users whose shells are
> "blessed" as being OK, by having them listed in /etc/shells.
> (The admins all use korn shell, the masochists, so they don't have
> this problem.)  (And if korn shell can do command history, filename
> completion etc. they don't know how... which makes me wonder why

set -o vi will give you vi rules for korn shell. It rocks. You can also
use emacs rules.

Command completion is kind of a pain <esc>-something, but it's there.

From an ergonomic standpoint bash is much better, but ksh is liveable.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.Opnix.com
#  Like the maid, I don't do (M$)Windows. - der.hans