Help loggin in

Mark Peoples gascsd@gascairlines.com
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 17:56:00 -0700

What shell does root use? What shell do other users use? There was an RPM a
few weeks ago that was bad and fubar'd the bash shell that it installed.
They came out with another RPM that fixed it though. If man gives you a seg
fault, you've probably got the bad RPM.

Also, is the default init level set to 3? If your network stuff isn't
starting, it could be because the default init level is 1.

marco

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-discuss-admin@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
[mailto:plug-discuss-admin@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us]On Behalf Of Carl
Parrish
Sent: Wednesday, October 04, 2000 3:06 PM
To: Phoenix Linux User Group
Subject: Help loggin in

Help my RH 6.2 has gotten screwy. I'm running on a AMD K3 333 w/ 98 M of
memory. its a dual boot machine but I never run window anymore. Anyway
here are my problems. Firsts I can't log in as anything but root now. No
error mesgages; just flickers and ask for my login name again. for
somereason my inet and network servece aren't starting on reboot (what log
file should keep track of that?) I can manual start them however so that
doesn't really bother me that much but I'm afaird its a simptom of the
problem. X has a footprint of 63Ms (that can't be right....RIGHT???). I'm
running Helix-Gnome with Enlightenment (btw anyone have any url's
comparing sawfish vs. enlightenment?). I've been running Mozilla 17 at lot
and I was concerned that it just wasn't releasing threads but rebooting
the machine should have taken care of that right??? (yeah I tried kill -9
first but it didn't seem to work). If anyone has *any* idea why this is
happening I'd be greatful.

Carl Parrish
webmaster
www.carlparrish.com