apt-get dist-upgrade

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 23:37:46 -0700 (MST)

Am 03. Oct, 2000 schwäzte Nathan Saper so:

> I'm on a dialup connection, so when I do an 'apt-get dist-upgrade,' I
> use diald to reconnect in case I get booted from my ISP.
> Unfortunately, during the downtime in between, a file or two is
> usually lost in the process.  This causes apt-get to not go on to the
> install phase; it quits after the download.  Is there a way to force
> apt-get to either try to get the missing files again, or continue the
> install without the missing files?

I haven't had that prob, even when I've broken off the upgrades. Have you
tried the --fix-missing option?

You mentioned cron in a later post, so --download-only is probably what
you want, though.

apt-get update && apt-get --download-only upgrade && mail -s "upgrade
files downloaded" root

Haven't tried it, though, so no guarantee any of that works :).

If the download-only option is working you probably want a loop that tries
up to 10 times to get the files and mails you to let you know if it was
successful or not.

Then you do the actual installs by hand.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.Opnix.com