LI on boot

Mark Peoples mark.peoples@asu.edu
Sun, 1 Oct 2000 20:07:53 -0700

Ok. I've been fighting an install of RH6.2 all day today, but can't for the
life of me get linux to boot from the hd without a fd. argh

The hard drive is a wdc 31200...CHS = 2484/16/63. (bios sees this fine)

During the first install, I had two partitions, / and swap. Didn't work.
Then I tried /, /boot, and swap. Still didn't work.

I've tried various combos of partitioning. dmegs shows that the kernel saw
the disk CHS as 621/64/63, even though I put append="hd=2484,16,63" in
lilo.conf and running lilo.

fdisk thinks that the disk is also 621/64/63, but printing the parition
table shows that /boot (/dev/hda1) is below the 1024th cylinder (covers
1-6).

I know that the 'new' lilo does away with the 1024 limit, but,
unfortunately, the bios in this machine is much too old to meet the
requirements for the new lilo. =(

Any ideas? Even at 10M, ftp installs are too long.  =)

Thanks,
 Marco