<Append>How do i back up my new install?

plug@arcticmail.com plug@arcticmail.com
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 00:01:02 -0700

Hmmm.  If I read this correctly, then your Debian
install is on one big ol' root filesystem (i.e.,
no separate /, /usr, /var, /... filesystems)?

Method One
----------

Boot the "Other Linux install"
Authenticate as root
cd /
mkdir /thedebianinstall
mount -o ro /dev/sda1 /thedebianinstall
cd /thedebianinstall
find . -depth -print | cpio -oa -H crc >/home/freshdebian.cpio
cd /
umount /thedebianinstall

Method Two
----------
Boot the Debian install
Authenticate as root
mkdir /home.old
mount /dev/hda3 /home.old
cd /
find . -xdev -depth -print | cpio -oa -H crc >/home.old/freshDebian.cpio
umount /home.old

Of the two, methinks I would prefer Method One.  All
of the Debian files would definitely be static and
closed because the filesystem is mounted read-only
and Debian isn't running.

HTH,