ooh.. installing glibc DOES screw up your system..

Jason jkenner@mindspring.com
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 09:14:56 -0700

Its doubtful the installer for glibc-2.2 was tested at all.

OK, thats a pretty strong thing to say, but to be blunt, the error
given at the tail end resulting from a problem in ldconfig was chalked
up to a "copy and paste" bug. As in, it was slapped together and not
checked.

Despite specifying to install to /usr/local/glibc/, my only copy of
libintl.h in /usr/include was erased & replaced. However, it seems all
the other librarys were installed where they go. This means at the
present moment that my compiler cannot function. The funny thing is,
Ive been trying to get this to work for so long now, I cant remember
what it was some cruel developer failed to support in libc5 that I
felt I wanted to install that got me to lobotomize my system so
thoroughly.

Lots of bad feedback about _xstat (and none of the fixes on the web
work), and quite a few about dcgettext__ (I installed gettext
according to the glibc instructions, which, in retrospect, was
probably fairly stupid. The fact that glibc relies on a package that
has a zero version number should have told me something: DO NOT USE)

--
jkenner @ mindspring . com__
I Support Linux:           _> _  _ |_  _  _     _|