Windows linux internet sharing

Jason jkenner@mindspring.com
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 13:28:57 -0700

Gyan Chawdhary wrote:

> Hello everybody
> I have installed Windows ME and connected it to the NET with a DSL line. I also
> have a RH 7 linux box, but it refuses to accept the DSL connection as the DSL
> can be hooked up only with the USB support.
>
> Is there a possibility that I can share my internet connection by making Windows
> ME as the server and connecting my linux box with a HUB.Can anybody give me some
> links to HOWTOS on this problem.

Your best bet is to get a normal DSL transciever. Bug your ISP about
wanting one with an ethernet port on it.

the IP sharing capabilities of Windows 95/98/ME are rather lousy, but
it can be done. At the very least, you can run a proxy and get web and
ftp. If you just want web only, check out Internet Junkbuster - a free
web proxy that works great (filters ads too, I run it on localhost)
... Im not familiar with the internet sharing MS added to their stuff
hastily after IPMasq became very popular, but you might give that a
shot too (maybe check winblows update site for the microsoft package
if you cant find it on your machine?)

--
jkenner @ mindspring . com__
I Support Linux:           _> _  _ |_  _  _     _|