VMware mouse problem

Jeffrey Pyne jpyne@worldatwork.org
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 09:20:33 -0700

I have as M$ optical IntelliMouse wheel mouse at home and a Logitech
MouseMan wheel mouse at work, and I've had very good luck with both of them
under XFree86 (version 3 and 4).  Here is the relevant info from the Pointer
section of my /etc/X11/XF86Config file at work:

	Protocol        "IMPS/2"
	Device          "/dev/mouse"		# This is a symlink to
/dev/psaux on my boxes
	ZAxisMapping    4 5
	Buttons         3				# Clicking the wheel
acts like a middle mouse button
#     Emulate3Buttons				# These are commented out
#     Emulate3Timeout 50

I have seen the same behavior you describe when I used an incorrect protocol
with my IntelliMice.  I don't remember which protocol caused that, but
switching to IMPS/2 and restarting X solved the problem.

I use imwheel for the scrolling functionality and it works well.

HTH.

~Jeff

-----Original Message-----
From: James Bell [mailto:carillon@inficad.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 21, 2000 2:07 AM
To: PLUG
Subject: VMware mouse problem

Hello all!  I've been trying to setup something at work to showoff
Linux to some people, and additionally I wanted to check out Storm
2k.  Since I was unable to appropriate a separate box, I grabbed the
30 day trial of VMware for NT and set it up on my work box, then
installed Storm Linux 2k, and then installed the appropriate tools.

My problem comes in with how my mouse is set up. Mouse is a MS
Intellimouse with middle finger wheel. Symptom is that mouse movements
in X are extrememly erratic, going to the bottom of the screen and
flicking around wildly with slight mouse movements. The setup program
built XF86Config initially tried to use a normal ps/2 mouse for the
protocol and "/dev/gpmdata" for the device. I've tried various
permutations of this and "imwheel", I've tried varying baud rates,
changing the device to point directly at /dev/psaux, etc. I've run out
of ideas. Anyone else see these symptoms and have any ideas? Thanks!