CENSORED - My Web Site made SlashDot ( kinda )

sinck@ugive.com sinck@ugive.com
Mon, 20 Nov 2000 07:56:27 -0700

In rare form, JLF poses a question:

\_ Any comments on the slippery slope of censoreware
\_ and usability of the Internet?

Well, basically, it's come down to this, iirc: akamai.

In a matter of seconds (so I've heard) you can hit akamai in the right
way and get any url around the censorware.

And the censorware can't block akamai because of all the revenue
through ad banners tied to it or some other money related reason.

So....

Preach to the youngin's about right and wrong, then practice what you
preach.  It's the more difficult, but more robust way.

And for the youngin's that aren't so youngin any more, have them sit
down with you (their parent[s]) and the offending content and explain
[in detail] just what it is that is going on, and what questions they
had.

I suspect that if they have real questions, they'll put them forward.
If they're just cruising for HOMEMADE-NUCLEAR-DEVICES-HOWTO, it'll
definitely put them off their feed for a bit to explain that drive for
knowledge....

YMMV.

David