Mandrake 7.2 - Hardware problem?

V.TREUDE V.TREUDE@prodigy.net
Sat, 18 Nov 2000 14:10:17 -0700

Brian Cluff wrote:

> > a full Mandrake 7.2 is 2.6Gb? Are you kidding? That would have to make it
> > the undisputed king of open source bloatware. Wow - and some of you rag on
> > RH.
>
> A big linux instalation isn't the definition of bloatware.  They would have
> to be putting 200meg word processors on the system to qualify for that.
> It's just that they included a lot of extra software that most of the other
> distros aren't including yet, and to me thats very much appreciated.
>
> Besides, i think that Suse would have to be the undisputed king of the
> lasrge distros... what are they up to now, something like 8 cd's or one DVD?
> I never did like installing Suse, just because it was information overload
> when picking stuff to install.  Extra is good, but haveing every program in
> the word available on install is kinda ridicules. I would be a bigger fan of
> just having them be post install extras.
>
> Brian Cluff

I know what you mean!  I've got both SuSE 6.2 and Mandrake 7.0.  Maybe SuSE does require a few many decisions at install time, but I
really like their "YaST" tool, which makes changes easier than for most distros.  (Who ever gets the setup right the first time?
Certainly not me!  For example, I've tried both Turbo Linux and Caldera.  Both were very easy installs and I had a terrible time
figuring out how to modify anything once I had them in there.)   Mandrake 7.0 was also a reasonable easy install (I got Mandrake
because JLF recommended it, but avoided 7.1 because somebody in the group said it was buggy) but I had to put all on a two gig disk.  I
thought the package selection process was easy enough but it seemed to be complaining about insufficient space when the partition was,
in fact, big enough to hold the number of megabytes that it said I'd selected.  Maybe that's a bug, or maybe it's a feature designed to
make sure I reserve an appropriate amount of free space.  If the latter is true, I wish I  knwe what the actual criteria are...

Vaughn
Nakota Software

P.S. Does the reference to JLF qualify me for a kibo?