netcraft uptimes

foodog@qwest.net foodog@qwest.net
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 00:17:10 -0700

kallen3@icircus.net wrote:

> > > Additionally, NT4 uptimes cycle back to zero after 49.7 days, and give
> > > timestamps exactly as if the machine had been rebooted at this precise
> > > point, while HP-UX, Linux, Solaris and recent releases of FreeBSD also cycle
> > > back to zero after 497 days. NT4 SP5 sometimes gives unreliable data,

Gotta jump on the uptime bandwagon again - 537 days as of
tonight.  If you're bored, you can see a snapshot of
rconsole running under win95, running under VMware, running
under Redhat 6.2, via X11 tunneled through ssh2:
http://glory.gc.maricopa.edu/~ssmith/snapshot01.gif  about
64k, grayscale image.

  This server's running Netware 4.11 on a PPro 200, 128MB.
Holds the master NDS partition and a replica of the other
partition - roughly 30,000 NDS objects in all.  Serves apps
for Windows and Mac clients, spools print jobs for several
dozen queues, run RADIUS to authenticate dialup users and
typically has 300 to 400 users logged in during the day (but
has licenses for up to 525). I upgraded it from NDS 5.95 to
6.10 last week so I could bring Netware 5.1 into the tree.

  Certain faculty members still ask when we're going to "get
rid of Netware and run our networks on NT".  Then they don't
even offer to share whatever mind-altering substances
they're obviously binging on. ;-)

  I've also had 2 Linux servers in production for over a
month now;  they haven't crashed yet.
--
Carpe cerevisiae