netcraft uptimes

Trent Shipley tshipley@symbio-tech.com
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 08:37:02 -0700

The fundamental reason all are running *nix seems to be that no other OS
reports uptime . . . even many *nixs with reputations for reliability
evidently don't report uptime.  (However note that NT5 *does* report uptime.
. . .)

/*******************************************************

FROM the applicable NETCRAFT FAQ:

Operating systems we can usually work out uptimes for are:

BSD/OS
FreeBSD [but not the default configuration in versions 3 and later]
HP-UX [recent versions]
IRIX
Linux 2.1 kernel and later, except on Alpha processor based systems
MaxOSX
NetBSD/OpenBSD [recent versions]
NT4 up to service pack 3
Solaris 2.6 and later
Windows 2000
Operating systems that do not provide uptime information include;

AIX
AS/400
AmigaOS
Compaq Tru64
DG/UX
MacOS
NetWare
NT3/Windows 95
NT4 SP4, SP6 [and the information from service pack 5 seems unreliable]
OS/2
OS/390
SCO UNIX
Sony NEWS-OS
SunOS 4
VM
Additionally, NT4 uptimes cycle back to zero after 49.7 days, and give
timestamps exactly as if the machine had been rebooted at this precise
point, while HP-UX, Linux, Solaris and recent releases of FreeBSD also cycle
back to zero after 497 days. NT4 SP5 sometimes gives unreliable data,
appearing as a "swarm of bees" effect on a graph