monitor amusements

sinck@ugive.com sinck@ugive.com
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 17:22:55 -0700

Hiho, the merrio...

My formerly fine monitor suffered a minor calamity of unknown cause.

Symptoms:

* Video card pumps data fine (I'm in front of a work-spare monitor now
    on the card).
* Monitor magic correctly detects:
  + signal (has a separate LCD display)
  + cable  (bnc vs dsub)
* VT switching tricks are tracked according to lcd signal display
* sudden + complete

and through this all:
* No Video Display

Background:
* 5.25 years old
* on UPS, so conditioned power
* http://www.iiyama.com/product2/8617a.htm

I'd like to have some kibitzing on whether there's a potential merit
to fix it, or whether I should just kiss the sucker good bye.

Is there anyone locally that peers into monitors for a nominal charge?
I know there's lots of juice in those suckers and I'm not feeling like
accidentally discharging a large capacitor at the moment.  :-)

TIA,

David