replacement for x

Roger Prutsman rprutsman@yahoo.com
Sun, 5 Nov 2000 22:34:04 -0800 (PST)

Does anyone know of any possible replacement for X in
the future? I have used several window managers and
each have strengths and weaknesses. What would be
ideal is a window manager that supports all widget
sets and is small, quick and stable. Yet no matter how
small the wm footprint, it must sit on top of X, which
is large and cumbersome. I don't have the most modern
systems at home, but would like to think that linux
could run a gui on old pentiums and 486s at the same
speed (or better) than MS windows does. This is
probably moot to most of you as older systems
typically are set up as some type of server, not
having X installed at all. But I have what I have, and
enjoy seeing graphics when I surf the web, as well as
using applications found only in X (such as gnumeric).
What can I see as an alternative in the future?