I need just two small patches...

Robert Byrnes robertbyrnes@home.com
Sat, 4 Nov 2000 20:27:21 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C0469D.A27BB540

Hello,
=20
I bought a copy of Linux Mandrake 7.1 today and the install hung when =
trying to initialize the cd-rom. I got the error: "I could not mount a =
device on /dev/scd0". So I went to: =
<http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/heliumlast.php3> for the solution. I =
accessed this site with another box running Windows98 and downloaded the =
appropriate files. I was hoping to copy them to a regular floppy to =
reboot the other machine again, but, I can't get all of the first file =
(cdrom-aic7xxx.img) onto a single floppy!=20
=20
A friend running Linux over in the UK offered this help:
"The problem is that the boot floppy image you downloaded is just that - =
an image. You need to create the floppy but transferring the contents of =
the img file onto the raw floppy filesystem - rather than copying it as =
a file. (The patch floppy is just a plain copy of the patch file to a =
formatted disk). The problem here is that the method to transfer the =
image - 'dd' - is a Linux command! And
you ain't got no Linux....
Don't worry though, if you get your Linux CD running on the win machine, =
there should be a DOSUTILS directory with rawwrite and winrawwrite which =
are the DOS/win programs to do this for you in an MS world. Check out =
the readme file in the images directory off of the cdrom on how to =
create boot disks from img files in different situations."
=20
I would really rather avoid installing Linux on my Windows machine as I =
already have another Pentium machine with a blank hard drive that is =
going to be exclusively Linux OS. That is, if I can get beyond the first =
30 seconds of trying to install it! :-)
=20
I was hoping someone local here around Phoenix wouldn't mind putting =
these files onto two floppies for me and I could meet them at the next =
meeting or somewhere else and exchange two clean floppies in return. I =
would be extremely grateful for this favor!!!
=20
Again, thanks in advance for any help!
Robert

Robert

Oscar Wilde observed: "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world. =
The unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. =
Therefore, all progress depends upon the unreasonable man."

------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C0469D.A27BB540

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I bought a&nbsp;copy of Linux Mandrake =
7.1 today=20
and&nbsp;the install hung when trying to initialize the cd-rom. I got =
the error:=20
"I&nbsp;could not mount a device on /dev/scd0". So I went to: &lt;<A=20
href=3D"http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/heliumlast.php3">http://www.linu=
x-mandrake.com/en/heliumlast.php3</A>&gt;=20
for the solution. I accessed this site with another box running =
Windows98 and=20
downloaded the appropriate files. I was hoping to copy them to a regular =
floppy=20
to reboot the other machine again, but, I can't get all of the first =
file=20
(cdrom-aic7xxx.img) onto a single floppy! </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>A friend running Linux over in the UK =
offered this=20
help:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>"The problem is that the boot floppy =
image you=20
downloaded is just that - an image. You need to create the floppy but=20
transferring the contents of the img file onto the raw floppy filesystem =
-=20
rather than copying it as a file. (The patch floppy is just a plain copy =
of the=20
patch file to a formatted disk). The problem here is that the method to =
transfer=20
the image - 'dd' - is a Linux command! And<BR>you ain't got no=20
Linux....<BR>Don't worry though, if you get your Linux CD running on the =
win=20
machine, there should be a DOSUTILS directory with rawwrite and =
winrawwrite=20
which are the DOS/win programs to do this for you in an MS world. Check =
out the=20
readme file in the images directory off of the cdrom on how to create =
boot disks=20
from img files in different situations."</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I would really rather avoid installing =
Linux on my=20
Windows machine as I already have another Pentium machine with a blank =
hard=20
drive that is going to be exclusively Linux OS. That is, if I can get =
beyond the=20
first 30 seconds of trying to install it! :-)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I was hoping someone local here around =
Phoenix=20
wouldn't mind putting these files onto two floppies for me and I could =
meet them=20
at the next meeting or somewhere else and exchange two clean floppies in =
return.=20
I would be extremely grateful for this favor!!!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Again, thanks in advance for any=20
help!<BR></FONT><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Robert</DIV></FONT>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><BR>Robert</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><BR>Oscar Wilde observed: "The =
reasonable man=20
adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable man persists in trying to =
adapt=20
the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends upon the =
unreasonable=20
man."</FONT></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C0469D.A27BB540--