Linux as backup (failover) machine

Brian Cluff brian@snaptek.com
Sun, 5 Nov 2000 11:23:11 -0700

The biggest problem with this no hardware/nosoftware method is that it's not
all the perfect.  Stupid networks like @home have decided not to honor the
cache times of DNS records.  I found this out the hard way when moving an
ISP's machines to be new network.
 I had sevral weeks before changed the timeout to 15 minutes in preparation
for the move.  The move went incredible smooth and I expected no large
snags.  Then days later I couldn't get to our web page though cox and I had
dozens of reports of e-mail. cox and non @home customers, couldn't get their
mail to our servers.  It was about 3 weeks before  things were back to
normal.   So, the below solution would work, but it wouldn't be for 100% of
your traffic.

Brian Cluff