Linux as backup (failover) machine

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Sat, 4 Nov 2000 01:00:05 -0700 (MST)

Am 04. Nov, 2000 schwäzte Ken Bowley so:

> Hello everyone!
>
> I've been posed with a question, and I'm a little stumped... please
> bear with me.
>
> Problem: Make a Linux machine automatically kick in as a failover
> machine for http when the NT machine goes down.
>
> Restrictions: Need to be able to monitor the NT box without installing
> anything extra on the NT machine. Linux machine needs to be able to
> kick in automatically when the NT box goes down, and give control back
> to the NT box when it comes back up. No access to installing any type
> of router/proxy between the NT and Linux box and the rest of the net.

Can you stick the Linux box between the NT and the net? If so, setup Linux
to route to the NT and do monitoring of port 80 on the NT. If port 80 goes
down, autochange the rules to use the Linux server for web until port 80
on the NT comes back up, then change them back.

If it can't go inline the Linux box could detect the NT went down and take
over the IP (maybe even take over the MAC address), but knowing the NT
came back up is problematice. If they were connected via a private network
it would probably cover most situations, especially if your service check
did the right things...

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.Opnix.com
#  I'm not anti-social, I'm pro-individual. - der.hans