Linux as backup (failover) machine

Ken Bowley johann@trod.org
05 Nov 2000 05:04:02 +0700

> On Nov 4,  8:11am, Ken Bowley wrote:
>
> > Make a Linux machine automatically kick in as a failover machine for
> > http when the NT machine goes down.
>
> BTW, Red Hat also offers a high availability product that provides for
> a heterogeneous server environment (including NT).  I have no idea if
> it meets all of your criteria however.

This won't work..  both machines are already sitting in a data center, and
the Linux box is currently running Storm (Debian 2.2).

Your first idea is pretty close to those proposed by packages such as FAKE,
but since i don't have direct access to the NT machine to add another NIC,
it's a little difficult to figure out that part about relinquishing the IP
address.

> The price tag is incredibly reasonable once you consider that it
> includes a year of 24/7 support.

I _AM_ the tech support on this one. :)