What Distro to use

Hawke proudhawk19021@home.com
Fri, 03 Nov 2000 18:10:52 -0700

hans,
there are some proggies that come only as sources to be compiled
(such as screem for webpage developement).

also, I don't like using the default kernel out of the box
(mostly owing to the fact that I ahve some hardware here
that requires newer modules).

Hawke

"der.hans" wrote:

> Dist version number doesn't mean anything. It's marketing. To some extent
> it's helpful to know if there were minor or major changes, which with
> Linux dists it usally is an indication of the level of changes that've
> taken place, but it really has no real meaning.
>
> debian doesn't need dist versions at all. They could stay with stable and
> unstable or bo, hamm, potato and woody and it wouldn't matter.
>
> The probs you're seeing might well have to do with using a devel snapshot
> of gcc and other technical changes, but has nothing to do with the dist
> versioning.
>
> Then again, other than pine, why do you need to recompile stuff? RH ain't
> exactly slackware :).
>
> ciao,
>
> der.hans
> --
> #  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.Opnix.com
> #  I'm not anti-social, I'm pro-individual. - der.hans

Make a few extra $$$.
Join http://www.processtree.com/?sponsor=29027

For information about linux:
Caldera Openlinux: http://www.caldera.com
Debian Linux: http://www.debian.org
Slackware Linux: http://www.cdrom.com/titles/os/slackware.htm/
Redhat Linux: http://www.redhat.com
SuSe Linux: http://www.suse.com
Corel Linux: http://linux.corel.com

****** publications *****
Eric. S. Raymonds publications:
   http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/reading-list-HOWTO.html

Linux news, tips and links:
   http://gary.singleton.net/

Linux Guide: http://jgo.local.net/LinuxGuide/

Linux Documentation Project:
   http://metalab.unc.edu/linux/

*** (don't know about this, it was recommended to me)
Gotta JOB (Just Over Broke)? Trade it in for a YOB
(Your Own Business)!! You'll love the money...and
the boss is pretty nice, too:
  http://www.sixfigureincome.com/?628750