What Distro to use

Bill Warner wwarner@direct-alliance.com
04 Nov 2000 00:46:04 +0700

1. Installation barfing constantly
2. RPM hell
3. kernel pains in the ass with initrds
4. segfaults from things that worked fine in Debian like mail of all things

I would have to say that the main thing is that when doing things
in Debian they just seemed to work.  While doing them on Redhat
we have to tweek and twiddle every little thing.  Also scaleability
is going to be a problem.  We have 42 sco servers that are being
replaced by Redhat.  we are expected to double that over the next 6
months and very likely have well over 200 by 2002.  With automation
of updates and secerity packs "RPM Hell" is going to take on a whole
new meaning.

I personaly am not that upset with the decission.  As you say atleast
we are running Linux.  There are others on our team that are very upset
so some of the vibe probably runs off into my posts.  Alot of what got
me upset was that we had 9 Debain systems running and had to switch them
all over to Redhat.

Bill W