recommended tool to auto update rpms?

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Fri, 3 Nov 2000 03:35:41 -0700 (MST)

Am 02. Nov, 2000 schwäzte Kevin Buettner so:

> I may be doing my employer a disservice by saying this, but I almost
> never use the kernel that comes with the distribution.  I usually
> fetch the kernel sources and build it myself once the basic OS install

Let's also point out that you know more than the average bear about the
kernel and how it works :).

I'm actually running the default kernel on a couple of debian boxen and I
bet one could do that with any of the dists nowadays ( maybe even with
slackware :).

Up until the last year or so, though in my experience, you had to build
your own kernel if you had things like sound card, root on a scsi drive or
a number of other things. Maybe I just didn't give the dist kernels enough
of a chance.

I hope the dist kernel stability continues and improves. That decreases
the amount of time I have to spend helping people learn how to compile
kernels or explaining to them why they need to :).

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.Opnix.com
#  Magic is science unexplained. - der.hans