OMFG!!!

Kevin Brown kevin_brown@uswest.net
Thu, 02 Nov 2000 16:55:14 -0700

Well, I have to say I'm totally shocked.  I was resigned to being unable to
recover the DEC Alpha that died during one of the storms when to my surprise I
booted it up, got to the milo prompt and was actually able to get the bloody
thing to boot.  Turns out the partitions are fine and the system is back up.

Now if I could just figure out what in the pcmcia package is tripping up my
laptop I'd be all done with this for a little bit.  I have a Wavelan card that
works fine under windows, but had to recompile the pcmcia package and decided to
go from 2.2.5 to 2.2.17 for the kernel at the same time.  The kernel itself
compiled fine and works, but if I try to boot with init starting pcmcia it goes
haywire during initialization and hangs the system after a crap load of interupt
requests.  I do have a working backup kernel that I can boot into so the system
is useful as long as I use it as a standalone box (since it doesn't have a Nic
or anything built in).  Oh well, problem to fix later right now.  Just glad that
the one Alpha box is safe and running.