NAT, how can it be done properly?

Jeffrey Pyne jpyne@worldatwork.org
Wed, 1 Nov 2000 09:21:07 -0700

If you have a fast connection, you can also install OpenBSD directly from an
FTP server (without pre-downloading the distribution sets).  All you need to
download is the 1.44Mb worth of files to make a boot floppy.  When you boot
off the floppy, you lay out your disk, set up your network and choose what
distribution sets you want to install.  The installer then grabs the
requisite files off the FTP server that you specify (IIRC it gives you a
list) and installs your system.  No need to download/burn a 650Mb ISO image
when you're only going to install a 150Mb firewall.  This is pretty handy if
(like me) you have very limited disk space and don't have room to store both
the distribution sets and the running system.

~~Jeff

-----Original Message-----
From: Rod Roark [mailto:rod@sunsetsystems.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 01, 2000 8:43 AM
To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Subject: RE: NAT, how can it be done properly?

You don't really need a CD image... if you look at what's on the
OpenBSD distribution sites, you'll see that you can download the
desired "distribution sets" and then make a boot floppy to do the
install.  It looks a bit like the traditional Slackware install
scenario.

-- Rod
   http://www.sunsetsystems.com/