My 2¢ was Re: Linux Programmer

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Tue, 30 May 2000 19:34:49 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 30 May 2000, Mark R. Myers wrote:

> In a Linux program, such as Netscape, KMail, or others, how does one put in
> characters that are not on the keyboard?
> For example: In Windows (please no flames), in order to get the cent symbol
> (¢), one needs to hold down Alt+0162 on the numeric keypad.

Glad I don't have to memorize that :). It's much more random in Linux...

<alt>-<key> gives you a bunch more characters, that's how I get my German
stuff (ä, ö, ü, ß, » and «). ¢ is at <shift>-<alt>-' for me. Depends on
your keymap, which depends somewhat on your dist.

Pull up xkeycaps to get more info about your keyboard setup.

cioa,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.OpNIX.com
#  Like the maid, I don't do (M$)Windows. - der.hans