linux server

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Tue, 30 May 2000 19:25:28 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 30 May 2000, Tim Weaver wrote:

> Well, wife and I went out and bought a bunch o' hardware, so I will get my
> very own Linux box upon which I can dabble in our internal network at home.
>
> I am wanting to learn/experiment/etc with Apache and NFS and maybe a mail

All 3 are file services. Many places put them on one box for internal
services. Even if load gets big, they just get a bigger box. Personally, I
would put mail on a different server if I could. In fact, I do :).

The real separation is internal vs. external data. Also nfs across a
firewall isn't a good idea...

> server.  Realizing that in the real world, one wouldn't likely have all
> these services on one machine, I am doing it at home for $$ reasons.  Thus
> my question to you:
>
> How would you advise setting up the box?  Should I create some sort of
> partition for each service or can I just install all the stuff on the HD and
> access the services from the box as needed (does this even make sense)?

I favor separate partitions (preferably on different drives) for different
data sets, e.g. /home for NFSd home space, /var/www for web pages and
/var/spool/mail for mail. I'm toying with moving mail into
/home/mail. Make sure to not deliver or read mail via nfs, though. If that
mail is exported via nfs and you use tools like grep and less to view it,
that's not a problem.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.OpNIX.com
# It's up to the reader to make the book interesting.