isp's

Kevin Buettner kev@primenet.com
Tue, 30 May 2000 18:36:21 -0700

On May 30,  6:00pm, erin@cybertrails.com wrote:

> Our system works with Linux and though those of us on the sysadmin
> staff can get you linked up, we are slowly but surely converting our
> tech support out of the world of windows...so at the moment, they
> would be no help to you..

I do not call tech support unless I think the problem is something
that my ISP can and should fix.  I require absolutely no assistance
whatsoever in getting my system configured and connected to an ISP so
long as I am given basic information regarding DNS, mail server IP
addresses, etc.  So, I don't really care if your tech support people
are linux literate or not.  What I do care about is that they will
attempt to solve my problem regardless of what operating system I'm
running.

What really bothered me about my recent Primenet experience is that
the tech support person attempted to get rid of me by telling me that
my operating system was not supported.  I am quite certain that I've
been using linux with primenet for longer than he was an employee
there (or probably anywhere for that matter).

It is indeed fortunate (for primenet) that on my second call, I ended
up with a more knowledgable and helpful support person, or I would
seriously be shopping around for a new ISP now.  As it is, I'm only
shopping half seriously.  I've certainly been checking out the URLs of
the various ISPs that've come across this list recently.

> But....for an official plug...  we are a local isp in Arizona and
> will be offering DSL service in the next couple weeks.

Do you offer ISDN connectivity?  (I didn't see it at your web site.)

Also, what about static IP addresses (I only need one) and additional
mailboxes?

Kevin